A few years ago, my friend Mark Davis (host of Big Water Adventures on the Outdoors Channel) introduced me to a deadly technique for catching big trout. It works any time but it works incredibly well during the summer months.
It involves using a popping cork, medium-heavy action spinning rod and a soft plastic lure. He pops the cork aggressive with a “1, 2, 3,–Stop” rhythm and repeats time and again. It seems simple and in a way it is but this type of strategy requires a lot of work and the exact right gear.
I have been using it all summer and have caught big trout, redfish and even flounder on it.
Here’s the gear I am using
7’6 Abu Garcia Veritas spinning rod (Just got one of these last month and have been blown away by how the strength, sensitivity and how light this rod is)
Penn Battle Spinning Reel
Spiderwire Stealth Moss Green Braid line (30-pound)
40-pound Seaguar Fluorocarbon leader (2.5 feet long)
4-inch Gulp! Swimming Mullet
…and the most crucial component, a Paradise Popper Xtreme popping cork from Bomber Saltwater Grade
The popping cork is crucial because it makes a very specific sound that very closely mimics a trout smacking the surface. It has a titanium shaft which allows it to stand up to lots of punishment and it is weighed for long casts. In fact, the long casts are a very important part of this. You can cover lots of ground and keep the boat away from the bigger trout which tend to be spooky. In fact, I would make the argument that large trout are far spookier than redfish which are unduly given a skittish reputation.
This has become my go-to method for catching trout and the beautiful thing about it is anyone can use it. It is not a super finesse technique and can work well for the beginner or the expert. By Chester Moore
- Helicopter Hog Eradication in North Texas [video]
- Shootout in Palestine, This is How Fast it Happens! [VIDEO]
- Massive Taurus Safety Settlement Could Include 100,000 Pistols
- 10 Terrible Boating Fails You Have to See to Believe (VIDEOS)
- Angler Catches Near-world Record Marlin on His Birthday
- Houston police catch cobra at high-rise apartment complex
- 8-year-old searching for the owner of lost Air Force ring (VIDEO)
- Extensive Ram recalls may affect you
- Big Bags and Catches Photo Contest is Back!