The Spanish mackerel have arrived at the jetty systems along the Texas coast.
Last week my father and I had an amazing trip catching many mackerel on the Texas and Louisiana side of the Sabine Jetties.
Contrary to popular opinion they are great to eat, especially when pan friend the day you catch them.
The trick for us was using a Mepps Syclops spoon and letting it sink about five feet, pull, let it sink and then pull. They would maul it!
The problem was the mackerel eventually cut through all of our steel leaders (seriously) and we lost our Mepps spoons. We had a couple of big old spoons that are no longer available called a Spoondog and caught a few on them as well.
The odd-shaped Mepps spoon however was the ticket.
Cast, sink, pull.
That’s the ticket.
- Hackers Infiltrate TrackingPoint Rifle [VIDEO]
- Shootout in Palestine, This is How Fast it Happens! [VIDEO]
- Missouri Man Shoots 14-foot Python, Larger 18-footer Captured in Florida
- Angler Catches Near-world Record Marlin on His Birthday
- Video Captures Incredible Shark Attack on Angler’s Fish
- July 2015
- 10 Terrible Boating Fails You Have to See to Believe (VIDEOS)
- Know what to do in case your dog gets a snakebite
- Helicopter Hog Eradication in North Texas [video]