Last week TF&G Publisher Roy Neves and I had the great pleasure of fishing with Capt. Kevin Callam out of Rockport.
The wind was blowing 25 plus miles per hour so we started off fishing cut mullet and absolutely hammered the redfish.
What was more interesting is that Callam suggested we do some drifting and fish topwaters over the flats.
We found an area with a little wind protection and some clear water and immediately started catching fish. Callam used a Mansfield Mauler type rig with a shrimp imitation and I tied on one of his Zara Spooks.
I left my topwater box at the lodge because of the wind. That was my mistake.
If you want an excellent guide who can put you on fish give Callam a call at 361-729-7584.
And remember if you can find a fairly protected area, give topwaters a try even if it is windy. The trout do not seem to mind.
- El Nino Ushers in Weird Waterfowling – Observe & Adapt for Waterfowl Success
- Past Issues
- Texas' newest open range state record non-typical whitetail buck
- First Look - SilencerCo Osprey Micro .22LR [VIDEO]
- Crazy Fast Deer Skinning - 1 minute 48 seconds [VIDEO]
- Subscriber Login
- Armed Citizens Stop Purse Snatcher - Don't Make These Mistakes [VIDEO]