Chrysler has again proven that it has the potential to be a giant killer when it comes to the Ram brand. More than 50 automotive journalists — members of the Texas Auto Writers Association — recognized the 2013 Ram 1500 pickup truck as Truck of Texas. This is the second time in three years that Ram has received this honor;
and — in what was seen as something of an upset – the Ram Truck lineup (1500, 2500, and 3500)
won the Truck Line of Texas award for the first time. If history is any judge, we can expect to hear Western actor, Sam Elliott, saying “Truck of Texas” in Ram ads in the very near future.
The 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee was again named as SUV of Texas, as it has been for many years running.
The 2013 Buick Enclave was named Crossover Utility Vehicle of Texas, after competing in a very crowded field.
The Ford F-250 retained its crown as the winner in the heavy duty pickup competition, and its position as an integral part of the nation’s best-selling truck line (and Texas’ best-selling line) by a wide margins. The Ford Raptor also won in the Best Off-Road truck category.
All awards are judged on a point system and journalists are asked to rank the top three winners in each category. Points are compiled, and winners named.
I will be providing in-depth reviews of each of the winning trucks and many SUVs and CUVs in the near future, but — while it is still news — here are the winners in each of the many categories that are judged. All trail-rated vehicles were driven off-road on a course with multiple hill ascent/descent situations, rock crawls and water. Those that were two-wheel drive were driven either on an off-road 2WD course or on-road at the discretion of the vehicle makers or, in some cases, the drivers.
Here are all of the winners (all 2013 models):
Truck of Texas: Ram 1500
Sport Utility Vehicle of Texas: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Crossover Utility Vehicle of Texas: Buick Enclave
Truck Line of Texas: Ram Trucks
Sport Utility Vehicles:
- Full-Size SUV: Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Mid-Size SUV: Jeep Wrangler
- Compact SUV: Ford Escape
- Full-Size Luxury SUV: Ford Explorer Sport
- Mid-Size Luxury SUV: Cadillac SRX
Crossover Utility Vehicles
- Compact CUV: Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
- Mid-Size CUV: GMC Terrain
- Full-Size CUV: GMC Acadia
- Mid-Size Pickup Truck: Toyota Tacoma
- Full-Size Pickup Truck: Ram 1500
- Luxury Pickup Truck: Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
- Heavy-Duty Pickup Truck: Ford F-250 Super Duty
- Off-road Truck: Ford F-150 SVT Raptor
Next year’s Truck Rodeo should be a real shootout. Ram and Ford will be at it again in a heated grudge match (the F-150 won Truck of Texas last year); but GM should have 2014 Silverados and GMCs and there is a strong rumor that there will be a new 2014 Toyota Tundra in the mix. I can barely wait.
- Man dies trying to suck venom from decapitated snake to boost his immunity
- Shark Devours Angler’s Catch in 5 Feet of Water (VIDEO)
- Man reels in possible world record trout in Indian River
- Coral snake antidote shortage poses ethical questions
- The Top 5 Most Beloved US Service Handguns
- Texas teen attacked by alligator, saved by father; both remain in hospital
- Fox News Host Accidentally Hits Army Drummer with Axe (VIDEO)
- The man who keeps finding new species of shark
- What to do if You Encounter an Alligator