About an hour ago, Ford gave auto writers a preview of the Transit Connect Wagon that it will introduce at the Los Angeles Auto Show, and it’s a people mover (or gear mover) extraordinaire. While no pricing was given as yet, the company indicated that it will start well under competitive vehicles.
A new addition to Ford’s Transit Connect commercial trucklet line, it is expected to break 30mpg highway, haul the payload of a full-size pickup — more than the Toyota Tacoma Double Cab pickup, according to Ford’s vp for global engineering and product development, Hau Thai-Tang.
The company introduced the Transit Connect at the 2009 North American International Auto Show in Detroit where it was named a year later as Truck of the Year. At that first 2009 press conference, which I attended, writers were asking when a passenger version would be offered. Now, with the 2014 Wagon, it is.
I will do a full review once I have a chance to drive it, but here are some specs that should give you a capsule view of what’s to come:
- Offered in two wheelbase lengths — five and seven passenger configurations. In seven passenger size, second row of seats slides 5″ for ease of entry.
- Second and third row fold-flat seating
- Choice of rear lift gate or two symmetrical side-hinged cargo doors
- 1,200 lb. payload, 2,000 lbs. two capacity when properly equipped
- XL, XLT and Titanium series levels
- Choice of two fuel -efficient four-cylinder engines — 2.5L, 4cyl as standard or 1.6L EcoBoost which will deliver 30+ mpg highway as a cost effective option
- Six speed automatic transmission, ideally mated to engine
- MyKey and Sync, exclusive Ford Features
- A range of impressive interior packages
This vehicle meets global commercial vehicle durability standards so it is no wimp in terms of construction. This is not your Mama’s mini-van.
- Shootout in Palestine, This is How Fast it Happens! [VIDEO]
- Extensive Ram recalls may affect you
- Chronic Wasting Disease found in Texas deer
- Cobra Chases Down and Attacks Chameleon (VIDEO)
- Demo Ranch goes for the largest binary explosion on the internet (VIDEO)
- Past Issues
- ICAST: Gigging lights from Hydro-Glow
- Family spots alligator at Bryan Beach in Freeport (VIDEO)