I’ve always thought nightvision was pretty cool, but until now the only ones I’ve been able to play with were the Generation 1 $99 cheapos that worked about as well as snapping a glowstick.
This year at SHOT Show I was able to check out some cool toys from US Nightvision and they were kind enough to send me a pair of Generation 3 PVS14s with a bump helmet for some active testing. I found that riding my 4-wheeler all over the countryside in total blackout mode was one of the coolest and addicting things in the world.
Then a sniper buddy from 1MOA Solutions came down to help with our Youth Marksmanship Camps and after the kids went home he let me borrow a PEQ2 Infrared illuminator/laser which allows the one with night vision see the aiming beam – another very cool toy. We went out in search of hogs in deep east Texas but didn’t see a thing. But it was great having a pro teach me how to tune the PVS14s and zero the laser on my rifle.
Well recently I had some chickens massacred on our property. And I mean massacred – torn off heads and carcasses left all over. It was time for justice. I had an old electric call that Chester Moore had given me and within 2 goat calls and one racoon call I saw the coolest thing. About 75 yards out a varmint like creature was bouncing along the way headed straight for me. I swung my CMMG .300 Blackout his way, the illumination beam reflected back in from his eyes. With the rifle sitting on my lap in the crutch of my elbow I placed the laser on his chest and completed the trigger press of my Geiselle National Match Trigger on the VLTOR lower, the GEMTECH Sandstorm hushed my handloaded 110 grain VMax report and WHAP – it was down. I savored the moment of absolute coolness then ran out to assess the kill. It was a fox. Perfect. The new batch of chicks are now safe, and I’m forever in love with this PVS14 night vision monocular. They are pricey, but they give an amazing advantage against destructive varmints.
- Helicopter Hog Eradication in North Texas [video]
- Shootout in Palestine, This is How Fast it Happens! [VIDEO]
- Massive Taurus Safety Settlement Could Include 100,000 Pistols
- 10 Terrible Boating Fails You Have to See to Believe (VIDEOS)
- Angler Catches Near-world Record Marlin on His Birthday
- Houston police catch cobra at high-rise apartment complex
- 8-year-old searching for the owner of lost Air Force ring (VIDEO)
- Extensive Ram recalls may affect you
- Big Bags and Catches Photo Contest is Back!