The Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association (SEMA) Show is the official toybox for truck lovers, truck owners and for the industry that does everything it can to create intrigue. The 2013 Show in Las Vegas later this month will be no exception, particularly if General Motors has their way.
The Silverado Black Ops concept is an imagination generator is based on the new Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 modified as a survivalist dream truck. Designed to highlight many of the features that are standard on the commercial vehicle, the concept has custom-fabricated body armor, a lockable, bed-mounted ‘Truck Vault’ storage system which contains a solar power pack, his and hers gas masks, special gloves, military first aid kit, folding shovel and rope.
Generator, fuel can and water storage are on top, as well as a crate of non-perishable food stuffs. The heavy-duty front-mounted winch with a customer cover has a bright light-emitting diode or LED spot light and integrated tow hooks. There is a raised suspension for extra ground clearance, custom bed rails and a light bridge with forward and rearward facing lights. Bolt-on fender flares and four-inch tubular assist steps continue the means-business look. Off-road tires are mounted on custom-painted production Z71 18-inch wheels. On the interior, the theme is black with yellow piping and trim throughout the cabin.
What I like about this concept is that Chevy has encompassed all of the features that you are apt to be evaluating if you are considering the new Silverado as your personal vehicle. These include:
*the newly-introduced EcoTec3 5.3L engine with 355 hp and 383 lb-ft of torque to deliver EPA-estimated 23-mpg highway.
- Max tow capacity of up to 12,000 lbs. with an available 6.2L V8 and max tow package (probably my choice if I am fleeing the zombie appocolypse)
- six-speed automatic transmission with hill descent control
- new front and rear suspensions and wider wheels for better ride and handling
- fuel-saving electric power steering
- four-wheel disc brakes with Duralife rotors that extend rotor life and reduce maintenance
- electronic stability control with trailer sway control and hill start assist
- forward collision alert and lane departure warning which use a forward-mounted camera.Available safety alert seat and rear-vision camera
The Silverado team also says that the fully-boxed hydroformed frame enhances the Black Ops strength and capability; and that the new door treatment — inlaid doors to create a better seal and improve aerodynamics. All of the electronic bells and whistles for infotainment, navigation and inputs for smart phone and other accessories are in place.
Since the SEMA show is open only to the trade, this is probably the best opportunity to see this survival kit on wheels from the folks that brought you the Hummer..
- Shootout in Palestine, This is How Fast it Happens! [VIDEO]
- Shark Devours Angler’s Catch in 5 Feet of Water (VIDEO)
- Rabbit fights with Snake to save the bunnies (VIDEO)
- Gay Marriage Ruling Paves The Way for Concealed Carry National Reciprocity
- Master Archer Lars Andersen - Myth Busted? [VIDEO]
- Past Issues
- Applications for TPWD Drawn Hunts is now open
- What to do if You Encounter an Alligator
- Man dies trying to suck venom from decapitated snake to boost his immunity