As you probably know, the hog population is out of control in Texas, so much in fact the TX Parks and Wildlife director stated:
“Two-thirds of the feral hog population has to be killed just to maintain their numbers, aerial control is the most effective for feral hog management. We are reaching out to Texans asking them not to be too conservative with their harvests. We are encouraging them to [cooperate] with their neighbors, share costs and join forces. Working together is the only way we can gain the upper hand on this exploding nuisance and dangerous problem.”
I have a friend in San Augustine county that has his fair share of hogs on his deer hunting property. This friend also happens to own a pre-86 full auto M16. He invited me out this past weekend and allowed me to put my suppressed .300 Blackout on this upper and we coupled it with a 50 round X Products magazine.
We hid in a NatureBlind until nightfall hoping the hogs would visit again. About 30 minutes after sunset a sounder of hogs moved in. I let them get comfortable while viewing them in my night vision monocular, then I opened fire with 35 rounds of 110 grain Hornady soft point .300 Blackout.
Unfortunately one of my rounds was a squib load and shut down the rifle, but the 2 bursts I shot did quite well. After the full auto you’ll hear me run up and finish one off with my .40 S&W.
I had setup a GoPro camera downrange hoping the hogs would come in the daylight, but in the darkness at least you can get audio and the aftermath:
(don’t watch the video if hog squealing upsets you)
The total body count was 7 hogs. I stayed up late cleaning them and stuffing them in the freezer.
- Helicopter Hog Eradication in North Texas [video]
- Shootout in Palestine, This is How Fast it Happens! [VIDEO]
- Massive Taurus Safety Settlement Could Include 100,000 Pistols
- 10 Terrible Boating Fails You Have to See to Believe (VIDEOS)
- Angler Catches Near-world Record Marlin on His Birthday
- Houston police catch cobra at high-rise apartment complex
- 8-year-old searching for the owner of lost Air Force ring (VIDEO)
- Extensive Ram recalls may affect you
- Big Bags and Catches Photo Contest is Back!