Docking a powerboat can be extremely stressful, especially when there are a lot of eyes on you. On the other hand, it can also be quite entertaining, if you’re one of the people doing the watching instead of the docking. So, how are you going to make sure everything goes smoothly? Here are a few docking problems you need to keep on the lookout for.
1. Current – not only can current take you off-target, it can also play funny tricks like pulling on a line hanging from a dock or piling, so it crosses your path (and will tangle your prop). To combat it, always shift into neutral before you begin your approach, so you can gauge how strong the current is, and how it will affect you. Then, plan your approach starting from an up-current position as necessary.
2. Wind – Here’s another tricky factor that can send you sailing off-course as you attempt to dock your boat. Again, the key to defeating it is to allow your boat to drift in neutral for a few moments before you begin your approach. Then consider it’s effects, as you go back into gear and decide how to best aim the boat.
3. Mechanical Failure – Ouch, this one can lead to serious damage. A sudden stall can eliminate your ability to shift into reverse and slow your approach, as well as eliminating all steering control. The only counter-measure at your disposal is to always approach slowly. The general rule of thumb is to go no faster than you’re willing to hit the dock.
4. Distractions – Nothing is worse than when a chatty passenger decides to ask a question, right as you begin your docking maneuvers. Stay focused, ask them to hold on for a second or two, and all will go well.
Bonus Tip: Want to learn more? Check out this How to Dock a Powerboat video, which takes you through the basic steps of the process.
- Armed Citizens Stop Purse Snatcher - Don't Make These Mistakes [VIDEO]
- Company Creates New Pain-free Method for Measuring Fish
- Ford unveils 2017 Super Duty
- A 90 MPH Center Console Fishing Boat? YES!
- Texas' newest open range state record non-typical whitetail buck
- Crazy Fast Deer Skinning - 1 minute 48 seconds [VIDEO]
- Dragon’s Breath: The easiest way to rake your leaves (VIDEO)
- Photos: Deer Photobombs Everything This Photographer Does