Japanese Shigenori Goto said he found the 13ft long squid swimming in one of his fixed nets off the island in Niigata Prefecture when he hauled it in early on Wednesday morning.
According to Mr Goto, the net, set to catch Japanese amberjack, was placed at a depth of around 70m deep about two-thirds of a mile from the coast.
“This is the first time I’ve seen such a large squid,” he told local media in Japan.
The squid was taken to a local government marine research institute in Niigata for research.
Source: The Telegraph
- Shootout in Palestine, This is How Fast it Happens! [VIDEO]
- Helicopter Hog Eradication in North Texas [video]
- Houston police catch cobra at high-rise apartment complex
- Massive Taurus Safety Settlement Could Include 100,000 Pistols
- 10 Terrible Boating Fails You Have to See to Believe (VIDEOS)
- Snake Selfie Ends with $153K Medical Bill
- 8-year-old searching for the owner of lost Air Force ring (VIDEO)
- Big Bags and Catches Photo Contest is Back!
- Man Jumps Zoo Fence to Pet Cougars (VIDEO)