Zach Gilford, who played Matt Saracen on the hit television show Friday Night Lights and had the most beautiful real life wedding in Napa, spoke with USA TODAY High School Sports at length about a bunch of topics, including his new movie Devil’s Due, high school volleyball and how he’d be a successful contestant on the show Survivor.
But most importantly, he gave advice on how to survive a bear attack. Because Matt Saracen has almost been attacked by a bear multiple times. And lived to tell the tale.
Gilford likes to go camping. He said he led backpacking trips for high school kids for several years. And he’s encountered bears on several occasions.
“I’ve survived multiple bear charges by standing my ground,” he said. “Seriously. In Alaska and in Yosemite when I lead my groups in the woods.
“The thing is when they’re charging you you’re actually supposed to stand still because if you run they feel like they’re actually supposed to be chasing you. A lot of times it’s a bluff charge and if you stand still you’re fine. If it’s not a bluff charge they’re gonna maul you. If you run they’re gonna catch you and maul you anyway. Stand your ground; it’s your only chance.”
Source: USA Today
- Mistakes Anglers Make - Don't Do This!
- Past Issues
- The Universal Suppressor - Griffin Armament Optimus Review
- North America’s Largest White Deer Herd Suffers Dramatic Decline
- Reducing the minimum largemouth bass size below Toledo Bend; fixing a clerical error on maximum length of limit on black drum
- "Hard headed and patient"
- All About that Bass