Zach Gilford, who played Matt Saracen on the hit television show Friday Night Lights and had the most beautiful real life wedding in Napa, spoke with USA TODAY High School Sports at length about a bunch of topics, including his new movie Devil’s Due, high school volleyball and how he’d be a successful contestant on the show Survivor.
But most importantly, he gave advice on how to survive a bear attack. Because Matt Saracen has almost been attacked by a bear multiple times. And lived to tell the tale.
Gilford likes to go camping. He said he led backpacking trips for high school kids for several years. And he’s encountered bears on several occasions.
“I’ve survived multiple bear charges by standing my ground,” he said. “Seriously. In Alaska and in Yosemite when I lead my groups in the woods.
“The thing is when they’re charging you you’re actually supposed to stand still because if you run they feel like they’re actually supposed to be chasing you. A lot of times it’s a bluff charge and if you stand still you’re fine. If it’s not a bluff charge they’re gonna maul you. If you run they’re gonna catch you and maul you anyway. Stand your ground; it’s your only chance.”
Source: USA Today
- Epic Battle: Cobra Battles Python (VIDEO)
- Skeet Shooting with Asian Carp (VIDEO)
- Bizarre Battle between World's Most Venomous Fish and Deadly Snake Caught On Camera
- Coyote Tackles Hunter Head-on (VIDEO)
- Eastern European jiffy pop as 2,000 rounds of ammo get cooked off (VIDEO)
- FATAL SELFIE: Teen Killed Taking Instagram Photo With Gun To His Head
- Army officially solicits new handgun—finally
- New artificial reefs
- No Pole Necessary — Watch as Farmer Hooks a Fish With His Drone (VIDEO)