British surfer Darren Mills has spoken of the terrifying moment when a great white shark clamped him in its massive jaws.
Darren, 28, was paddling on his board when the 10ft predator pounced. It sunk its deadly teeth into his leg and began to drag him further from shore.
Amazingly, the desperate surfer escaped the shark’s powerful grip by punching it on the nose.
Speaking in detail for the first time about the attack in New Zealand, Darren said: “All of a sudden I felt a terrific thump. I saw the shark had clamped its jaws around my leg and surfboard.
“It didn’t look real. I could see its gums extended from its mouth with rows of teeth lining it. It was pinning me to the board with its jaws.
“I started punching it on the nose, a sensitive area for a shark, then got hold of its snout and tried to prise it off. It must have been on my leg for four seconds but it felt a lot longer.
“When it let me go, it did a massive turn, flicking its tail high in the air as it went.”
Darren, who was losing huge amounts of blood and was terrified the killer would return to finish the job, frantically paddled the 30 yards to shore, yelling “help”.
He had four huge bite marks on his right leg and a gruesome puncture wound. One gash was 3in deep. His pal on the beach used the surfboard’s leash as a tourniquet.
Darren said: “That’s when I first saw the wound. There was this big lump of flesh hanging out of a rip in my wetsuit. I was scared. I got it into my head I was going to die from loss of blood.”
Source: Mirror Online
- Shootout in Palestine, This is How Fast it Happens! [VIDEO]
- Shark Devours Angler’s Catch in 5 Feet of Water (VIDEO)
- Rabbit fights with Snake to save the bunnies (VIDEO)
- Gay Marriage Ruling Paves The Way for Concealed Carry National Reciprocity
- Master Archer Lars Andersen - Myth Busted? [VIDEO]
- Applications for TPWD Drawn Hunts is now open
- What to do if You Encounter an Alligator
- Man dies trying to suck venom from decapitated snake to boost his immunity
- Past Issues