An Australian toddler who took home a nest of eggs treated his mother to a surprise when the creatures inside turned out to be deadly snakes.
Kyle Cummings found the eggs in his yard a few weeks ago and asked his mother for a container to keep them in. His mother, Donna Sim, said she didn’t think anything more of it until she opened her son’s closet door to discover a plastic container playing host to seven snakes.
“I was pretty shocked, particularly because I don’t like snakes,” Sim said.
Sim took the snakes to a nearby wildlife sanctuary, where it was found they were of the second-deadliest variety on the planet–the Australian eastern brown.
Wildlife specialists said Kyle was lucky he had put the lid tightly on the container and that his mother had discovered them before they grew big enough to pop the lid off.