Bobbi Harris, 31, was on the last night of a trip to Mexico with his girlfriend, Tina.
“It was huge. It had horrible long skinny legs and I’m absolutely terrified of spiders. I freaked out. I was rushed to hospital by ambulance and given an injection. I was really scared, I thought I’d had it.”
Tina, 25, trapped the “lethal” beast and experts said it was a brown recluse, which can grow up to an inch long and cause organ failure.
The pair, who were near Cancun, missed their flight and Bobbi said it “cost a small fortune” to get back.
He was bitten on the knee, but said: “When I got home I took off the bandages and couldn’t believe it.
“There was a disgusting green lump and my leg was swollen down to my ankle.
“It kept weeping lumps of tissue which stunk. I could see right down to my bone. The venom was eating away at my skin.”
EDITOR’S NOTE: The British newspaper reporting this incident is clearly unfamiliar with the brown recluse (Loxosceles reclusa). Although the venom can produce nasty aftereffects, such as necrosis (tissue death and “rotting”) and ulceration at the bite site, systemic signs and symptoms are typically associated with related infection and not the venom itself. There are no known or confirmed fatalities from L. reclusa envenomation. –Don Zaidle, editor-in-chief