A Columbus boy is recuperating at home after a brush with a venomous snake left him hospitalized.
Columbus High School art teacher Sarah Oswalt said her son, Jack, 7, was playing with a friend in the New Hope area on Fri., June 14 when he was struck twice by a copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix ) on his foot.
“Jack was playing with at a friend’s house in New Hope,” Oswalt said. “They had gotten very dirty and we told them they needed to wash off before they could come inside.
Oswalt said Jack was walking towards the outside water hose when he stepped on the snake.
“The snake was coiled up by an air conditioner,” Oswalt said. “Jack stepped on it and it struck him twice, although only one fang released some poison. He came in and said he had been bitten by a snake. I didn’t really believe him at first.”
After Jack’s foot began to swell, Oswalt said she called E-911.
“I didn’t know what to do so I looked it up on my iPhone,” she said. “We were in the ambulance when I heard a gunshot. The neighbor had killed the snake — it was about two feet long. It wasn’t a fully matured snake.”