The unexpected death of a Georgia woman is being blamed on a tiny ant.
Jenny Pomeroy, 65, died Monday after having a severe allergic reaction to the fire ant’s painful sting, ABC affiliate WSBTV reported. She was CEO of Prevent Blindness Georgia, an Atlanta-based non-profit that provides vision screening and education about eye disease.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with Jenny’s family,” Drs. Scott Pastor and Amy Hutchinson, co-chairs for the organization, said in a statement. “This is a tremendous loss to the vision community and Jenny will forever be remembered as an innovative thinker and a selfless, dedicated leader in Atlanta and across the state of Georgia. We will miss her deeply.”
The sting occurred last week at the pool of Pomeroy’s Buckhead condo, according to WSBTV. She went into anaphylactic shock – a life-threatening, whole-body allergic reaction – and died in a hospital days later from complications.
“If you develop an allergic sensitivity to fire ant venom you can have an allergic reaction, which in the most severe case, can become anaphylaxis,” said Dr. Stanley Fineman, an allergist with the Atlanta Allergy and Asthma clinic and immediate past president of the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology.