It was snakes all aflame at a Bedford apartment Thursday morning when a heating system for raising pythons malfunctioned and ignited a fire.
Bedford Fire Chief James Tindell said there were several plastic tubs being using to store small pythons in a room of an apartment. The snakes were owned by the son of the tenant, who was letting her son stay with her in between moves.
The son had a heating system to keep around 20 to 24 snakes warm and that’s what malfunctioned and triggered the fire in the complex, igniting the plastic bins.
Fire officials responded to the fire call about 2:30 a.m. on Thursday to the apartment complex where the snakes were kept, which was located in the 2500 block of Central Drive in Bedford
Approximately half of the snakes died in the fire – the majority were young and none of the snakes were poisonous.
The three people inside the apartment were home at the time of the fire, but were not injured. There were also several dogs and cats inside the apartment and all but one have been accounted for.