A grass fire near Eagle sparked when a man used a smoke bomb in an attempt to extricate a badger from a culvert, according to the Ada County Sheriff’s Office.
The man told dispatchers that he had placed a smoke bomb inside one end of the culvert, and went to the other side to wait for the animal to emerge.
But when the wind shifted, the device ignited the grass and the fire spread quickly.
The man called 911 just before 6 p.m. to report the fire, Ada County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Patrick Orr said.
Fire crews from Eagle, Star, Boise and Meridian extinguished the grass fire with the help of helicopters and airplanes from the Bureau of Land Management.
No one was injured and no structures were destroyed in the blaze, officials said.
Orr said that no decisions have been made about whether the man will be held financially responsible for the fire. The badger’s fate is unknown.