The Brady Campaign today released a report,Gunslinger: Rick Perry’s Reckless Record on Guns.
“Not only is Rick Perry an extremist on guns, but he seems to be proud of it,” said Brady Campaign Acting President Dennis Henigan. “Perry has been marinating in radical pro-gun ideology for so long he seems to have lost the capacity for common sense on this life-and-death issue.”
The report includes direct quotes from his book Fed Up!, which devotes an entire section to guns, and highlights his close relationship with the gun industry and the National Rifle Association.
Highlights from the report that anti-gun pundits consider “disturbing” include:
– When asked if he carries a concealed weapon while he campaigns, Perry quipped, “That’s why it’s called concealed.”
– His statement: “Texans … elect folks like me. You know the type, the kind of guy who goes jogging in the morning, packing a Ruger .380 with laser sights and loaded with hollow-point bullets…..”
– His support for CHL holders to carry guns in schools and on college campuses.
– His belief that Congress lacks the constitutional authority to enact gun laws.
– His support for carrying of loaded guns in cars without a license.
“With Mr. Perry seeking to be commander in chief of a nation that leads the developed world in gun deaths and injuries, it is shocking that the governor would be so careless, reckless, and cavalier about the dangers and risks of guns to our families and communities. Let the voting public beware,” Henigan said .