An oil-soaked rag spontaneously combusted and detonated a cartridge in the gun cabinet in the home of a New York couple.
Anne Mossholder pushed her husband, Max, out of their house in a wheelchair, while their mixed-breed dog, George, climbed in the back seat of their car.
The couple, who have been living at 101 Beverly Drive in Frederick County for almost 30 years, had stunned looks on their faces as the heat from their car’s exhaust floated against the falling snow.
“He didn’t know what to make of all this,” Mrs. Mossholder, 60, said of their 12-year-old pet.
The three had just been instructed to wait in their car while fire and rescue officials investigated an explosion in their gun cabinet and cleared the subsequent smoke from the house.
Mossholder, 69, said he hasn’t been hunting since 2007, when his leg was amputated.
The couple had just been talking about giving the gun cabinet and everything in it — two rifles and some unopened ammo — to their only son, an avid hunter.