President Obama has requested $1.1 billion and the Department of Justice (DOJ) asked for $382.1 million for gun control “to protect Americans from gun violence.”
Included in the DOJ’s $382.1 million figure is a request for $2 million for smart gun technology grants.
According to The Washington Beacon, Obama’s $1.1 billion “[includes] $182 million to support the president’s ‘Now is the Time’ gun safety initiative.”
“Now is the Time” includes the following:
1. Require background checks for all gun sales.2. Strengthen the background check system for gun sales.
3. Pass a new, stronger ban on assault weapons.
4. Limit ammunition magazines to 10 rounds.
4. Finish the job of getting armor-piercing bullets off the streets
5. Give law enforcement additional tools to prevent and prosecute gun crime
6. End the freeze on gun violence research
7. Make our schools safer with new resource officers and counselors, better emergency response plans, and more nurturing school climates.
8. Ensure quality coverage of mental health treatment, particularly for young people.